What is the greatest of these three?
- Love is kind and patient, never jealous, boastful, proud, or rude.
- Love isn't selfish or quick tempered. It doesn't keep a record of wrongs that others do.
- Love rejoices in the truth, but not in evil.
- Love is always supportive, loyal, hopeful, and trusting.
- Love never fails!
- For now there are faith, hope, and love. But of these three, the greatest is love.
- 1 Corinthians 13:4-8,13
This kind of love is not something you can muster up on your own. This is a gift from HIM which is Love, as it is written:
He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love. KJV — 1John 4:8
So how then do you receive it? First we have to talk briefly about our condition as human beings, the bible says that we have all sin and come short of the glory of God (Romans 3:23). Because of this we no longer have a heart that love unconditionally. Our love is tinted with lust, with strings attached. Why because our heart is not right. This heart here is not the cardiovascular system but the mind that we have. The true condition of our heart is describe below, and if we are honest we would agree.
The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it? — Jeremiah 17:9
But check this out! God wants to give us the gift of a new heart.
A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh. And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them. — Ezekiel 36:27
Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God. KJV — John 3:3
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. KJV — John 3:16
Did you get it? You have to believe that Jesus is the promised Son of God ( Genesis 3:15 ) that is able to die the death that we deserve so that we can live the life that He deserve; because:
For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. KJV — Romans 6:23
Oh, there is so much gift packaged into Jesus Christ! Here are a few:
- The forgiveness of the shameful things that we have done in the past, and present. (John 8:36, Romans 6:19-22)
- The Power to no longer do them anymore(2 Timothy 1:7, Jude1:24)
- The gift of the Holy Spirit (John 14:16,17)
- Restoration of the glory of God reflected in us (Colossians 1:27)
- The Law of God in our hearts, which is love fulfil (Hebrews 8:10)
In Conclusion, Love cometh from our Heavenly Father who HIMSELF IS LOVE, by faith in Jesus we can have this love.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. KJV — John 15:13